When you set up your blog on WordPress you probably went with the default, but did you know you can change the WordPress front page to be a static welcome page?
It’s really easy, and depending on your approach to building an online presence, it’s a great way to position yourself and your site with quality content.
When you have your blog as the front page, you’re essentially hoping that your latest blog post represents who you are and what you do. But what if you wrote a totally out of the ordinary blog post, or someone just so happens to dislike the topic of the day? That’s where having a WordPress front page that’s static is advantageous!
WordPress Front Page How-to
The breakdown: Changing your wordpress front page
- First, create a new WordPress page that will become your WordPress front page. I recommend you have a description of what you do, who you serve, and ideally your opt-in offer.
- Next create a new WordPress page that will be blank, and called it “Blog” or “News”… whatever you’d like your blog page to be called.
- Go to the “Settings”->”Reading” page in your WordPress dashboard. Where it says “Front page display” switch it to a static page by selecting your new home page from the drop down.
- Still on the same settings page, select the “Blog” page as the blog area.
- Depending on your theme you may need to add a new Menu Item to link to your newly created blog page. This will differ from theme to theme.
Ready to swap out your WordPress front page?
Not yet on the weekly techy tidbits list? Grab your spot and get 4 tech-made-simple videos to get off on the right foot.
What are some awesome uses for your WordPress front page? Share in the comments below!