On this episode of Off The Charts Business, Nathalie Lussier and guest Tarzan Kay dive deep into the world of email marketing.
They discuss how often to send emails, finding the right balance between nurturing and selling, and treating a small list as an opportunity for personalized marketing.
Tarzan shares tips on email subject lines, copywriting, and creating successful products through customer research.
The episode also covers the use of AI tools for writing and the importance of having a unique writing style.
If you’re looking to improve your email marketing skills or wondering how to stand out from the competition, this podcast episode is a must-listen.
Tarzan Kay is a former copywriter-for-hire who specializes in emails that are fun to read, and more addictive than Netflix.
Her online courses teach how to write story-based copy and make consistent sales from a small email list, without using fear or FOMO. Her company’s mission is to make high-integrity marketing the new status quo for online business.
In a previous life, Tarzan was a music major and once did a 3-year stint in law school, in French! When T-Boss isn’t writing emails, you’ll find her taking mid-day dunks in the ice bath or playing Billy Joel’s greatest hits on the piano.
Tarzan and her family live in Ontario, Canada.
Visit her site here.
Tarzan Kay is a successful copywriter and email marketer who began her career taking online courses and specializing in online courses and emails.
She landed a major gig of writing emails for Amy Porterfield, which generated a lot of buzz and recognition for her work.
Tarzan quickly discovered her sweet spot, niching down specifically to online courses and emails with a side of landing pages and sales pages.
A law school dropout with no meaningful jobs or financial stability, Tarzan saw immense potential in the copywriting industry.
Along with building skills as a service provider to make other businesses successful, she also focused on building her own business.
It took her two to three years to transition into selling courses herself, and now she has two major programs about copywriting and email marketing.
The highlights from this episode:
Email List Building and List Nurturing
- Email frequency and how to achieve consistency
- Balancing nurturing and selling in emails
- Turning a small list into a superpower
- Value every subscriber, no matter how small your list is
- Tarzan Kay’s journey from a copywriter to a course creator
- List building should start with high-ticket items and move towards more affordable offers
- Email marketing is crucial for any online business
Customer Research and Product Creation
- Testing a product can be a painful and time-consuming mistake
- The importance of customer research for creating successful products
- The importance of listening to customers through surveys and phone interviews
- A useful customer survey should ask only one open-ended question
Email Writing and Subject Lines
- How to split test email subject lines
- Writing multiple subject lines can improve skills and generate curiosity
- Email subject lines can be categorized into three types: curiosity-inducing, urgent, or informative
- Practicing writing subject lines regularly can lead to improvement over time
- Importance of having a general framework for sales emails
- Pick apart what’s going on in the email and why it works to duplicate it
- Experimenting with AI writing tool Jarvis
- Tarzan Kay’s brand is personality-driven and story-driven
- Need to be careful about relying too much on AI tools and know what you want to say to get decent content out of them.